In September 2019, Amazon and Global Optimism co-founded The Climate Pledge (TCP) – a commitment to reach net-zero carbon 2040 and meet The Paris Agreement 10 years early. As of September 2021, The Climate Pledge has over 201 signatories across 26 industries and 21 countries – with companies such as Amazon, Mercedes Benz, Microsoft, IBM, Unilever, and more getting on board. We are pleased to announce that Edmund Bell has joined these companies and become one of the latest signatories to join the Pledge!
What does it mean to join The Climate Pledge?
The Climate Pledge calls on signatories to be net-zero carbon across their businesses by 2040. It is about achieving a balance between the greenhouse gases we put into the atmosphere, and those we’re able to take out.
Companies that sign the pledge commit to three principal areas of action:
- To measure and report greenhouse gas emissions on a regular basis.
- To implement decarbonization strategies in line with the Paris Agreement through real business changes and innovations, including efficiency improvements, renewable energy, materials reductions, and other carbon emission elimination strategies.
- To neutralize any remaining emissions with additional, quantifiable, real, permanent, and socially beneficial offsets to achieve net-zero annual carbon emissions by 2040.
Our achievements so far towards net-zero carbon
Edmund Bell has already taken considerable steps towards net-zero carbon by making more mindful choices when it comes to sustainability. Our achievements to date include:
- Over 80% of our product range is now recyclable and we are aiming to increase this number year on year.
- Rather than be sent to landfills, fabric waste is recycled and remade into other products used within the flooring industry.
- We now have 54 products certified to STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®. If a textile article carries the STANDARD 100 label, you can be certain that every component has been tested for harmful substances and that the article, therefore, is harmless in human ecological terms – this applies to all processing steps from yarn to finished product.
- We have assigned a dedicated leader of sustainability within the business – Ashley Addy, our Quality and Environmental Manager. Ashley leads our internal ‘Green Team’, who help to guide the business to make conscious and sustainable choices which shape the ethos of everything we do and how we operate as a business.
- In 2020 alone, we locally coated enough fabric to cover the length of more than 9,523 football pitches, saving over 350 tonnes on our carbon footprint! 350 tonnes – that’s approximately 3 blue whales, 4.5 space shuttles, 50 elephants, 700 grand pianos, or 45,000 bowling balls.
Group CEO John Atherton comments:
“Being part of The Climate Pledge further reinforces Edmund Bell’s commitment to sustainability and taking action to reduce our effects on the environment; working together to crack the climate crisis and solve the challenges of decarbonizing our economy.
We are working hard to ensure that we are doing everything we can across new product development and other business processes, to reach our sustainability and environmental goals.
Although we are proud of what we have achieved until now, we recognise that we still have a long way to go to achieve our goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2040. With hard work and our dedicated “Green Team” in place within the business, we are looking forward to the challenges ahead”.
Sustainable plans for 2022
The Climate Pledge will remain at the forefront of our business strategy for 2022 and beyond. We have many exciting plans in the pipeline that will help us towards achieving our goal of net-zero carbon by 2040, including new sustainable product ranges, internal business changes, and more!
To hear more about The Climate Pledge and keep up to date with new developments on our journey, visit ebtozero.com.
Contact Edmund Bell through the BCFA Product Finder.
The BCFA Product Finder is a unique search engine created especially for interior designers to source contract furnishing companies. Utilising this platform will support your findings for upcoming projects, with over 200 members profiles showcasing the latest product launches, new materials available, industry news and design trends.